Sunday, March 25, 2012

Computer name conflict

I have ServerA and ServerB. I configured ServerB as distributor and allowed
ServerA as a publisher for it. Then I started to configure ServerAs publisher
using ServerB as distributor but the process failed with error stating
SeverA0 is not enabled as publisher for distributor ServerB ... eventhough
the NetBIOS name of ServerA is really ServerA and not ServerA0. If I enable
ServerA0 as publisher for distributor on ServerB I can finallize the
replication setup. But the finall reasult is that (for Trans replication)
Snapshot agent on ServerB reports failure: Cannot connect to ServerA0.
It seems that SQL server on ServerA calls it self a little bit different
then what is his NetBIOS name.
Is this really possible? How can I recover from this?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Tom Hagen
Some of this may be related to differences between servername (NETBIOS) and
the name registered in sysservers for the local system. It's possible you
didn't run sp_dropserver, sp_addserver with the local switch?
Just so I can understand the issues a bit more can I just confirm some
things?
Initially: ServerB - distributor, ServerA - Publisher
Next step: rename ServerA as ServerA0? However you mention that the NETBIOS
name was still ServerA so where did ServerA0 come from? Perhaps this is an
alias or it is sp_addserver?
Rgds,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Just to clarify: I'm not the owner of ServerA nor I was installing it. So I
know a few about it.
No, I never run sp_addserver nor sp_dropserver directly. I was just
configuring the replication using Enterprise Manager from ServerB.
To your questions:
Exactly: ServerB is a Distributor; ServerA is a Publisher.
I didn't rename the servers during the configuration. So ServerA was named
ServerA before and is still. What I know is that ServerA was not fully
installed from scratch, instead it was somehow "cloned". I think that the
original server from which it was cloned was named ServerA0. But this name I
cannot find either in linked server nor remote servers on ServerA. Nor I can
find ServerA name in there. Can this be the problem? Shall I add ServerA to
Remote servers on ServerA?
Thanks in advance
Tom Hagen
|||Tom,
I'm beginning to get the picture. an you run select @.@.servername,
SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName') on ServerA and post back the results.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Great,
@.@.SERVERNAME returns 'ServerA0',
'SERVERPROPERTY' is not a recognized function name.
Tom Hagen
|||Tom,
is this sql server 7.0? Anyway, running
Use Master
go
Sp_DropServer 'OldName'
GO
Use Master
go
Sp_Addserver 'NewName', 'local'
GO
Stop and Start SQL Services
should help.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Thanks a lot Paul,
In the mean while I tested to add ServerA0 to the Remote Servers on ServerA
and it helped. The replication runs good.
But in any case, I'll synchronize the names to be correct using your
suggestion. But as it needs restart I have to plan it.
Thank you again.
Tom Hagen

No comments:

Post a Comment