Thursday, March 29, 2012

Concatenate Lname and Fname Columns

I'm using Access 2002 and Sql 2000.
I have a Lname and Fname columns that I'm try to concatenate. I'm trying to
use Lname + ', ' + Fname in a View. But Lname is the things that displays.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help,
Paulpjscott wrote:
> I'm using Access 2002 and Sql 2000.
> I have a Lname and Fname columns that I'm try to concatenate. I'm
> trying to use Lname + ', ' + Fname in a View. But Lname is the things
> that displays.
> What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks for the help,
> Paul
Are you using fixed-length character columns? If so, you'll need to trim
the data. For example:
create table #Names (
LName1 CHAR(20),
LName2 VARCHAR(20),
FName1 CHAR(20),
FName2 VARCHAR(20) )
go
Insert Into #Names Values (
'Gugick', 'Gugick','David','David')
Insert Into #Names Values (
'Smith', 'Smith','Dan','Dan')
go
Select
LName1 + ', ' + FName1 as "Fixed-Length Name",
LName2 + ', ' + FName2 as "Variable-Length Name",
RTRIM(LName1) + ', ' + RTRIM(FName1) as "Fixed-Length Name - Trimmed"
from #Names
Go
Drop Table #Names
go
David Gugick - SQL Server MVP
Quest Software

No comments:

Post a Comment